Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General question about pistol modifications

I have s pistol that does not have a lot of aftermarket support, and I recently cam across what I think to be a one man shop that does “accurizing” work that includes mechanical modifications to the trigger.

I look at aftermarket modifications to trigger mechanism pretty skeptically.

I am retired from a career in software. As a new software engineer, I was petty sure that I was the best the brightest and I was ready to tear up bad code and replace it with my brilliant work.

Funny thing happened over the years - I began to realized that there was far less bad code out there than I though - that often what looked to be bad code was in fact meeting design requirements I didn’t understand.

I have seen people throw away old bad code with bright spanking new code - and find all the bugs that the bad old code was fixing cropping up in the new code.

Those years left me a skecptic about “I’ve got a better idea” - not a cynic, but a skeptic.

My guess is that developing a new pistol requires an investment in the 10s millions of dollars - though I really don’t know. I assume that budget is spent on mechanical engineers - many of whom are very bright and well trained.

There are geniuses out there - but part of the definition of genius is rarity.

The question I ask myself when I read about someone that claims to have come up with a way to improve a factory trigger is, “If this works better than a factory trigger and still meets all of the same safety, reliability, and durability design requirements, why isn’t the factory doing this?”

The most obvious answer is cost - maybe the innovation is just too costly. That means the improvement it offers is not enough of an improvement that most people buying the pistol are willing to pay for the improvement.

And that’s fine - I understand that.

For example, it looks to me like Beretta tacitly endorses the LTT PX4 modifications - which leads me to believe that Beretta would do the LTT mods if they thought they market would support the increased price.

But when I see a modification that looks like it would cost the factor little or no more than than the OEM, I wonder why the factory wouldn’t be doing it - if it was truly a better idea.

I get the impression that gun owners are inveterate tinkerers - but is anyone else as skeptical that many of the mods offered are missing some design requirements satisfied by the original factory mechanism?

Working...
X